Over a billion people in Africa need their governments to provide basic public services such as hospitals, schools, sanitation, employment opportunities and much more. When governments fail to deliver, it’s the poor that suffer most. That’s why AGI’s mission is to support effective government in Africa - to make government work for the world’s poorest people.
To achieve this vision, we provide practical advice and support to help African Leaders bridge the gap between their vision for a better future and the capacity of their governments to achieve it. In the last year, this has included helping to end Ebola in West Africa, supporting the set-up of the Development Bank of Nigeria, and reforms in Rwanda that will increase farmers’ incomes and exports.
Our model combines the experience of AGI’s founder and Patron, Tony Blair, with on-the-ground teams of professionals working shoulder-to-shoulder with counterparts in the heart of partner governments to develop capacity and put in place the skills, systems and structures needed to drive delivery on the ground. Currently, AGI is working to support the governments of Sierra Leone, Liberia, Rwanda, Guinea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Mozambique and Nigeria.
What we look for in our people
All candidates will need to demonstrate the following core competencies:
- Leadership and organisational awareness
- Building and managing effective relationships, including the ability to navigate complex political environments
- Influencing, coaching and delivering change through others
- Management and delivery, including excellent project management skills
- Strategic planning and decision-making
- Analysis and use of evidence
- A creative and entrepreneurial approach to overcoming barriers and making change happen, and the ability to cope in emotionally demanding environments
Above all, we look for candidates with high levels of enthusiasm, resilience, and a can-do attitude.
Find out more...
For more information about our upcoming roles and how to apply click below.
We work on complex issues in dynamic and uncertain contexts. When things are changing fast and we need to make decisions it is our values that guide us. We strive to be: